Welcome to Around the Well! We are a group of younger religious (55ish and younger), serving the Catholic Church in Canada. Through various activities such as retreats and other in-person/virtual gatherings, we seek to foster a “community of communities” where younger members of religious communities can come together to give witness to a life lived in Christ.
On our blog, you will find reflections on ministry, charism, spirituality, and stories about what it is like to be a younger religious in Canada today. Our aim is that this blog will be a voice of hope not only to our members, but also to anyone who may be discerning a vocation to religious life.
We chose the name Around the Well for this site, because it reminds us of our common thirst for Jesus, and our desire to be present to each other.
Thanks for visiting: Hope you enjoy your time “Around the Well!”
2022 Around the Well Retreat
A small group of younger Religious from throughout Canada were blessed to be able to gather at Queen’s House of Retreats in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, for our annual retreat for younger religious. This was our first in-person retreat since 2019, and it was wonderful to be together in person!
Recent Blog Posts:
- SETTING OUR HEARTS UPON THE DEEPA teacher friend recently posted a picture of herself on Instagram; she was out for a winter walk in Edmonton, Canada. I felt an unexpected tug at my heart upon seeing her and the familiar, deep snowbanks. Living in the Philippines this … Continue reading SETTING OUR HEARTS UPON THE DEEP
- Speak, Lord, Your Servant is Listening (1 Samuel 3:9)David E. Rosage’s book of the same title was one of the first books that I was given when I became a Pre-Novice with the Sisters of Instruction of the Child Jesus (sej) in Coquitlam, British Columbia, nearly 3 years … Continue reading Speak, Lord, Your Servant is Listening (1 Samuel 3:9)
- Inspiration to Live Religious LifeAs a teenager, I remember hearing the words, “I have called you by name and you are mine” Isaiah 42:1-2. These words were my inspiration to leave all things and follow Jesus in religious life. I grew up in a … Continue reading Inspiration to Live Religious Life
- CompanionshipHow important is a small community or a group companion in a journey? Belonging to a small community of like-minded people gives me support and helps me to dream and hope in the journey of life. That is what I … Continue reading Companionship
- A voice from the unmarked graves- CRY OF THE INDIGENOUS CHILDREN, A PATH TO RECONCILIATIONOh, Canada listen to our cry Oh, religious and political institutions listen to our song We are spirits of the One Creator sending you a message of seven values, learnt from the Aki-land, forest, animals, birds and all living creatures: … Continue reading A voice from the unmarked graves- CRY OF THE INDIGENOUS CHILDREN, A PATH TO RECONCILIATION